Associate Professor, MHI Program Director
Adjunct Assistant Professor of Research, School of Biological Sciences
Office: WT 1127
PhD. from Louisiana Tech University (2006) in Computational Analysis and Modeling.
My research interests lie in the area of Gene Expression Data Analysis and Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery for health related data.
Outstanding Research Award in the College of Applied and Natural Sciences, Louisiana Tech University (2008).
Outstanding Research Award in the College of Applied and Natural Sciences, Louisiana Tech University (2010).
Outstanding Research Award in College of Applied and Natural Sciences, Louisiana Tech University (2013).
1. P. Sethi, W. J. Lukiw; Micro-RNA (miRNA) abundance and stability in human primary brain cells and in human brain tissues, Neuroscience Letters, vol. 459 (2), pp. 100-104, 2009. PMID: 19406203.
2. P. Sethi, K. Theodos; Translational Bioinformatics and Healthcare Informatics: Computational and Ethical Challenges, Perspectives in Health Information Management 6, Fall 2009. PMCID: PMC2804463.
3. J.G. Cui, Y. Zhao, P. Sethi, Y.Y. Li, A. Mahta, F. Culicchia, W.J. Lukiw; Micro-RNA-128 (miRNA-128) downregulation in glioblastoma targets ARP5 (ANGPTL6), Bmi-1 and E2F-3a, key regulators of brain cell proliferation, Journal of Neurooncology (Published online Nov 26th, 2009), PMID: 19941032.
4. P. Sethi, S. Alagiriswamy; Association Rule based Weighted Similarity Measures for the Clustering of Gene Expression Data, Bentham Open Medical Informatics Journal vol. 4, pp.63-73, 2010.
5. S. Dua, M. Dessauer, P. Sethi; Evaluating Cluster Preservation in Frequent Itemset Integration for Distributed Databases, Journal of Medical Systems, 2010, May 9. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 20703684.
6. Y. Y. Li; J.G. Cui; P. Dua; A.I Pogue; S. Bhattacharjee; W.J.Lukiw; Differential expression of miRNA-146aregulated inflammatory genes in human primary neural, astroglial and microglial cells. Neuroscience. Letters.
7. A.I. Pogue, C. Hebel, P. Dua, J.M. Hill, W.J. Lukiw; Up-regulation of micro RNA-146a (miRNA-146a), a marker for inflammatory neurodegeneration, in sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (sCJD) and Gerstmann-Straussler Scheinker (GSS) syndrome. Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, 74 (22-24): 1460-8, 2011.
8. W.J. Lukiw, B. Surjyadipta, P. Dua, P.N. Alexandrov. Common micro RNAs (miRNAs) target complement factor H (CFH) regulation in Alzheimer's disease (AD) and in age-related macular degeneration (AMD). Int. J. Biochem Mol Biol. 2012; 3 (1):105-16.. PubMed PMID: 22509485; 2012.
9. P.N. Alexandrov, P. Dua, P, J.M. Hill, S. Bhattacharjee, Y. Zhao , W.J. Lukiw. microRNA (miRNA) speciation in Alzheimer's disease (AD) cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) and extracellular fluid (ECF), Int. J. Biochem Mol Biol. , 4, Dec 24, 2012, 217-238.
10. Y. Zhao, P. N. Alexandrov, S. Bhattacharjee, B.M. Jones, P. Dua, J. M. Hill, W. J. Lukiw, Regulation of TREM2 expression by an NF-кB-sensitive miRNA-34a, Neuroreport, Apr 17, 2013: 318-23.
11. P. Chowriappa, P.Dua, W.J. Lukiw; An Exploratory Analysis of Conservation of Co-Expressed Genesacross Alzheimer's disease Progression, Journal of Systems Science and Computational Biology 6: 215-227 doi: 10.4172/jcsb.1000119
12. M. Jain, P. Dua, S. Dua, W.J. Lukiw, Data Adaptive Rule-based Classification System for Alzheimer Classification, Journal of Systems Science and Computational Biology 6: 291-297 doi: 10.4172/jcsb.1000124
13. Y. Zhao, S. Bhattacharjee, B.M. Jones, J.M. Hill, P.Dua, W.J. Lukiw, Regulation of neurotropic signaling by the inducible, NF-kB-sensitive miRNA- 125b in Alzheimer's disease (AD) and in primary human neuronal glial (HNG) cells, Molecular Neurobiology Nov 29. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24293102
14. B.M. Jones, S. Bhattacharjee, P. Dua, J.M. Hill, Y Zhao, and, W.J. Lukiw Regulating amyloidogenesis through the natural triggering receptor expressed in myeloid/microglial cells 2 (TREM2) Frontiers in Cellular Neuroscience, 2014 Mar 31;8:94
15. Y. Zhao, S. Bhattacharjee, B.M. Jones, J.M. Hill, C. Clement, K. Sambamurti, P. Dua, W.J. Lukiw, Betaamyloid precursor protein (βAPP) processing in Alzheimer's disease (AD) and age-related macular degeneration (AMD) Molecular Neurobiology 2014 Sep 10. Epub 2014 Sep 10. PMID: 25204496
16. P. N. Alexandrov, P. Dua, W.J. Lukiw Up-regulation of miRNA-146a in progressive, age-related inflammatory neurodegenerative disorders of the human CNS Frontiers in Neurology, August 2014, 0081 (5), doi=10.3389/fneur.2014.00181
1. C. Pasluosta, P. Dua, W.J. Lukiw, Nearest Hyperplane Distance Neighbor Clustering algorithm Applied to Gene Co-Expression Analysis in Alzheimer's Disease, 33rd Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC '11).
2. P. Sethi, M. Jain, A Comparative Feature Selection Approach for the Analysis of Healthcare Coverage, Proc. of the International Conference on Information Systems, Technology and Management, Communications in Computer and Information Science, 2010, Volume 54, 7, 392-403, 2010.
3. P. Sethi, A. Alex, S. Alagiriswamy; Feature Ranking and Scoring of Gene Expression Data Using Associative Pattern Mining, 4th International Association on Pattern Recognition (IAPR) Conference: Pattern Recognition in Bioinformatics, 10 pages, ISBN 978-0-9563399-0-4.
4. P. Sethi, A. E. Alex, S. Alagiriswamy; Feature Ranking and Scoring of Gene Expression Data Using Associative Pattern Mining, 4th IPAR Conference on Pattern Recognition in Bioinformatics, 2009, 10 pages, ISBN 978-0-9563399-0-4.
5. P. Sethi; Gene Selection through Association Rule Filtering for Supervised Classification. In the Proceedings of the Biotechnology and Bioinformatics Symposium, (BIOT 2008), Arlington, TX, Vol. 5, pp.65-72.
6. P. Sethi; Data, Information, Knowledge: Principles of Data Mining and its Impact on Healthcare Delivery. In the proceedings of the 80th Annual Convention and Exhibit of American Health Information Management Association, Seattle, WA, 2008, 5 pages.
7. P. Sethi, C. Leangsuksun; Fast Knowledge Integration in Gene Expression Database using High-performance Parallel Computing. In the Proceedings of The Sixth Annual Emerging Information Technology Conference (EITC '06), Dallas, TX, 4 pages.
8. P. Sethi, C. Leangsuksun; A Novel Computational Framework for Fast Distributed Computing and Knowledge Integration for Microarray Gene Expression Data Analysis In the Proceedings 20th International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications - Volume 2 (AINA'06), 2006, pp. 613-617.
1. P. Sethi, H. Thompson; Automated Microaneurysm Detection in Fluorescein Angiograms for Diabetic Retinopathy, Computational Analysis of the Human Eye with Applications, published as a book chapter by World Scientific Press in 2011.
2. P. Dua, K. Theodos; Electronic Health Records, Book Chapter in Health Information Technology, Elsevier, 3rd Edition, Spring 2013.
3. P. Dua, S. Bais: Supervised Learning Methods for Fraud Detection in Health Insurance, Book Chapter in Machine Learning in Health Informatics Springer-Verlag 2014.
S. Dua, R. Acharya, P. Dua: "Machine Learning in Healthcare Informatics". Springer-Verlag 2014.
HIM 282- Healthcare ComputerApplication Laboratory
HIM 312- Health Data Content and Structure
HIM 319- Data Management in Healthcare Laboratory
HIM 425- Information Systems in Healthcare
HIM 501- Healthcare Information Network Systems
HIM 502- Database Architecture
HIM 513-Evaluation of Information Systems
HIM 522- Computerized Decision Support
HIM 523- Healthcare Information Analysis
Ongoing Research Support (External Grants)
Completed Research Support (External Grants)
1. National Institutes of Health/INBRE, P. Sethi (PI), 09/01/08- 04/30/10;"Microarray Gene Expression Biclustering using Associative Pattern Mining"; Award Amount: $105,000
2. Board of Regents Enhancement Grant, P. Sethi (PI), 08/01/07-06/30/09;"Undergraduate Healthcare Data Management and Mining Laboratory"; Award Amount: $30,000
3. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, P. Sethi (PI), 01/01/2008-08/31/2008;"Computationally Driven Rural Health Promotion and Disease Prevention Program"; Award Amount: $101,875
4. National Institutes of Health (Federal flow through LBRN), P. Sethi (PI), 06/01/07-10/31/07; "Design and Development of Computational Techniques for Hyperspectral Image Mining"; Award Amount: $26,290
5. National Institutes of Health (Federal flow through LBRN), P. Sethi (PI), 06/01/06-12/15/06 "Development Of Design Tool for Enhanced Fluorescein Angiography in Ophthalmology";Award Amount: $12,000
6. Louisiana Board of Regents, P. Dua (PI), 06/01/11-06/30/14; " Novel Methods for Microarray Gene Expression Data Mining for Translational Bioinformatics" Award Amount: $80, 139.
Completed Research Support (Internal Grants)
2. College of Applied and Natural Sciences, Louisiana Tech University, P. Sethi (PI), "Travel Grant for AOE Chicago, IL"; Award Amount: $2,065 (2007)
3. College of Applied and Natural Sciences, Louisiana Tech University, P. Sethi (PI), "Travel Grant for Louisville, KY"; Award Amount: $1, 755 (2008)
4. College of Applied and Natural Sciences, Louisiana Tech University, P. Sethi (PI), "Travel Grant for AHIMA Convention Seattle, WA"; Award Amount: $1,667 (2008)
5. College of Applied and Natural Sciences, Louisiana Tech University,·P. Sethi (PI), "Travel Grant for BIOT Arlington, TX";·Award Amount: $777 (2008)
1. Perspectives in Health Information Management
4. Louisiana Health Information Management Association (LHIMA)
1. Associate Editor of Journal of Medical Imaging and Health Informatics (JMIHI), May 2010-present.
2. Program Committee member 3rd International Conference on Contemporary Computing (IC3), August 2010
3.Publicity Co-chair for the 5th International Conference on Information Systems, Technology and Management (ICISTM), 2010
4. Reviewer of the Journal Perspectives in Health Information Management, September 2009-present.
5. Foundation of Education and Research (FORE) Research Committee Member, 2008- 2009
College and University Committees
1. Representative on College of Applied and Natural Sciences-Research Committee 2006-present
2. Representative on College of Applied and Natural Sciences-Graduate Committee 2006-present
3. Representative from College of Applied and Natural Sciences-Blackboard Advisory Group 2007
4. Member of College of Applied and Natural Sciences-Faculty Advisory Committee to the Dean 2007-2008
5. Representative on University Senate from College of Applied and Natural Sciences 2007-2008
1. Master's Thesis Committee Member, "Associative Pattern Discovery for Gene Expression Data Analysis," (September 1, 2008 - September 27, 2010). Advised: Sathya Alagiriswamy
2. Master's Thesis Committee Member, "Analysis of Micro RNAs in Human Subjects with Alzheimer's Disease" (October 2012-October 2013). Advised: Ashwini Weber
3. Master's Thesis Committee Member, "Development of a Clique-based Dimensionality Reduction Technique and its Application to Gene Expression Data" (September 2011- August 2014). Advised: Kankana Shukla